Monday, August 25, 2008

I Don't: A Contrarian View Of Marriage by Susan Squire

This book is a rambling history of the idea of marriage from prehistory to Luther and the Reformation. At times it was witty, but overall, I feel a little disappointed with it. While some might find it's chatty style endearing, I found that it detracted from the attempt at historical scholarship (which may not have been the author's intent anyway). In addition, I found that the sudden halt at Luther and the Reformation left me wanting a more complete treatment of the subject. Perhaps at least following the topic into the 20th century. That being said, it was still a very entertaining book. I always like a book with notes and a bibliography and hope to be able to pursue the topic by reading some of the books Squire cites.

2.75/5

No comments: