Thursday, December 25, 2008

New Books: Special Christmas Edition

Merry Christmas Everyone! As a serious reader, most of the gifts I get for Christmas are books. Now, my family has for years tried to limit the numbers of gifts we receive, so I don't get quite as many gifts as some. But this year, I got two books from relatives and two books for myself. From my mother in law I received the long awaited 2666 by Bolano. From my sister in law I received The Sacred Book of the Werewolf by Victor Pelevin. This one was recommended by Tyler Cowen at Marginal Revolution. Finally, I purchased The Ascent of Money by Niall Ferguson and A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens for myself. Well, actually, I purchased A Christmas Carol to read to my six year old son, but that didn't work out real well, so he watched the movie and I finished the book on my own. As far as The Ascent of Money, I have another book by Ferguson, The War of the World unread on my bookshelf, but I couldn't wait to get this one after hearing several talks he gave on the book. Now, that should probably be it for the month, as I am trying to read more of the books I own ... but then again, Half Price Books is having an after Christmas sale, so perhaps there will be a special New Year's edition.

No comments: