Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Musing Mondays (on Tuesday?)

Do you keep track of what and/or how many books you read? How long have you been doing this? What's your favorite tracking method, and why?If you don't keep track, why not?

I started keeping track of my reading in 2006 when I became a stay at home dad. Before retiring, I was a software developer. Most of my reading was technical reading: manuals, programming books, computer science books, etc. But when I stopped working, I had much more free time to read non-technical literature. Of course, now I am a freelance software developer and that is beginning to take up more of my time ...


I use a free web service called Backpack to keep track of my reading. The service allows you to create pages that contain lists and other things. So, I just have a page that contains the list of everything I have read, broken down by month, since February 2006. I used to keep track of the title, author, publishing information, ISBN, and number of pages. But, lately I have gotten down to the title, author, and number of pages. I have considered moving the list to my laptop or a notebook just in case Backpack goes away. But, I have never gotten around to it. I just backup the page on my laptop occasionally. Of course, now I also have the book reviews on this blog if I need.


On a related matter, I also have a page on Backpack that has books that I want to read. But, there are so many of those that my TBR list is not just on Backpack. I have several notebooks in which I keep lists of books to read, as well as notes from books that I have read. Where to you keep your TBR list?

1 comment:

Rebecca Johnson said...

I've never seen Backpack before, thanks for mentioning it, it looks handy.

If you don't mind, I was wondering if I could use your follow up question for MM next week?