Sunday, February 14, 2010

The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway

What can I say about The Old Man and the Sea? It lived up to all the hype I had heard about Ernest Hemingway. The sparse prose, the theme of man against nature, and absolutely brilliant writing. The story is rather minimalist. An old man, fishing in the sea hooks a large marlin. What ensues is an epic battle between the man and the fish. Written so beautifully, Hemingway kept me on the edge of my seat for the entire novella. I know that I am gushing, but really I cannot say much more than brilliant, simply brilliant! If you love literature and you have not read The Old Man and the Sea, do so as soon as possible.


5.00/5


Read for:



  • Book Awards IV Challenge (1953 American Academy of Arts and Letters Award of Merit)

  • Decades Challenge (1950s)

  • What's In A Name Challenge (Body of Water in the Title)

No comments: