Wednesday, March 24, 2010

The Clover, Bee, And Reverie Poetry Challenge

I know I'm participating in many reading challenges right now. One of the things I like best about reading challenges is the challenge part. If chosen well, reading challenges encourage you to read things you would not have otherwise read. The Clover, Bee, And Reverie Poetry Challenge is such a challenge for me.


I have never really been a reader of poetry, so I was intrigued when I saw this challenge in my feed reader. I thought about it, but poetry? Nah. Besides, I had so many other challenges going. But over the last couple of months it kept nagging at me.


Then I read the Sufi mystical poem The Conference of Birds by Farid Ud-Din Attar for the Read Your Own Books Challenge. I didn't really enjoy it overall, but there were a few luminescent moments. So, on my next trip to the library, I randomly grabbed a book of poetry from the stacks: Human Dark With Sugar by Brenda Shaughnessy. Even though the Shaughnessy's poetry isn't the kind with a strong narrative arc I prefer, I enjoyed reading it. I now have several books of poetry checked out from the library with the intention of reading them and I'm looking forward to completing The Clover, Bee, And Reverie Poetry Challenge .

No comments: