I finished seven books in January. This is below my target of nine or more books a month. Reading less than nine books a month will leave me reading less than my goal of 100 books in 2012. I will have to focus on reading more next month.
Of the books I read in January, Alias Grace by Margaret Atwood was by far my favorite. It was a compelling read in which Atwood did a fantastic job of really nailing the voice of Grace Marks.
I also thoroughly enjoyed Project: The Happily Ever After by Alisa Bowman. I have been reading her blog for quite sometime, but just got around to reading her book. Bowman succeeded in taking a rather serious subject, for her personally as well as in general, and writing a book that was in turns hilarious and heartbreaking. I really enjoyed it and it made me think even more about the ways in which I can improve my own marriage.
I added a few challenges: 1001 Books Challenge, Shakespeare Challenge, and the Seconds Challenge.
The seven books I read this month were:
- Alias Grace by M. Atwood (1001 Books Challenge) 5/5
- White Castle by O. Pamuk (What's In A Name Challenge) 2/5
- Midsummer Night's Dream by Wm. Shakespeare (Shakespeare Challenge) 3/5
- Pity the Billionaire by T. Frank 2/5
- Treasure Island by R. L. Stevenson (What's In A Name Challenge, 1001 Books Challenge) 3/5
- Monoculture by F. S. Michaels 3/5
- Project: The Happily Ever After by A. Bowman 4/5