Saturday, February 28, 2009

Library Loot for February 25 - March 4

I love the library. I cannot help but check out more books than I can possibly read in the two or three week checkout period. To make matters worse, I live in a place where I can belong to two library systems, so I check books out from both. Anyway, here is a list of the books that I currently have checked out:



  • Hellboy (Vol. 1) by Mike Mignola

  • The Annotated Brothers Grimm ed. Maria Tatar

  • Conquistador by B. Levy

  • Conquest by H. Thomas

  • The Book of Calamities by P. Trachtenberg

  • How to Be Idle by Tom Hodgkinson

  • Why Read? by M. Edmundson

  • The Grand Inquisitor's Manual by J. Kirsch

  • Cyrano de Bergerac by E. Rostand

  • The Writing Life by E. Gilchrist

  • The Well Trained Mind by S. Bauer & J. Wise

  • Shakespeare: The Invention of the Human by H. Bloom

  • How to Enjoy Shakespeare by R. T. Fallon

  • The Little Book of Atheist Spirituality by Andre Comte-Sponville


Quite a list, I know. I checked out some of these books after reading or hearing something about the subject that inspired me to find out more. I checked out the Brothers Grimm after listening to a fascinating radio program/podcast about them and their tales. Checking out the two books on Cortés and the conquest of Mexico was inspired by having read Laura Esquivel's Malinche, but I am not sure I will actually get around to reading those two. My interest in Shakespeare was intensified by an essay in Ellen Gilchrists' wonderful book The Writing Life. With the exception of Hellboy, the rest were on my TBR list.

5 comments:

Gavin said...

I end up with too many books from the library but it gives me a chance to look them over and see if I really want to read them! I'd like to know what you think of The Little Book of Atheist Spirituality as it is on my TBR list.

Eva said...

I second Gavin: I'm most intrigued by the Atheist Spirituality book!

Vasilly said...

What a great haul! I have a lot of the same books on my holds list at the library.

Joseph said...

I haven't finished The Little Book of Atheist Spirituality yet, but I like what I have read enough to purchase my own copy of it this afternoon. I will post a review when I have finished reading it, probably later this week or early next week.

Michelle Olsen Sasak said...

I love the Brothers Grimm! I read Grimm's Grimmest a while back and it was really good.