Wednesday, April 04, 2012

March Reading Summary

I read a whopping 12 books in March. This put me back on track to read 100+ books this year. I wanted to read more poetry, which I did, reading three books of poetry in March. I also added a new challenge: The Amazon Best Books of 2011 Challenge hosted by Cassandra.

My March favorites:

Delirium by Nancy Cohen, a timely book about the recent history of the politics of sexuality.

Incognito by David Eagleman, a book that taught me that brain science indicates that there really isn't a single me, but instead a bunch of mes that run amok. I highly recommend reading it if you have any interest in the brain or psychology.

The March disappointments:

King Henry V by Wm. Shakespeare, not my favorite play by the Bard, but then again, it is Shakespeare so, while disappointing as a whole, there are some really bright spots.

The Reactionary Mind by Corey Robin, not really a single thesis, but instead an uneven collection of essays that only partially illuminated the conservative mind.

The 12 books I read in March:

  1. Norton Critical Edition of Macbeth by Wm. Shakespeare (Shakespeare Challenge)
  2. The Brightened Mind: A Simple Guide to Buddhist Meditation by Ajahn Sumano Bhikkhu
  3. Howl and Other Poems by Allen Ginsberg
  4. Suffering Is Optional: Three Keys to Freedom and Joy by Cheri Huber
  5. Delirium: How the Sexual Counterrevolution Is Polarizing America by Nancy L. Cohen
  6. Questions About Angels by Billy Collins (Seconds Challenge)
  7. Lord of the Flies by Wm. Golding (What's In A Name Challenge, 1001 Books Challenge)
  8. The Reactionary Mind: Conservatism from Edmund Burke to Sarah Palin by Corey Robin
  9. A Week at the Airport: A Heathrow Diary by Alain de Botton (What's In A Name Challenge, Seconds Challenge)
  10. King Henry V (Arden Third Series) by Wm. Shakespeare (Shakespeare Challenge)
  11. Habibi by Craig Thompson (Seconds Challenge, Amazon Challenge)
  12. Incognito: The Secret Lives of the Brain by David Eagleman (Amazon Challenge)

No comments: