Saturday, January 31, 2009

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

I almost didn't read The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. I am a little bit of a book snob and have some reservations about reading fiction that is classified as young adult. After all, I am not a young adult. I am an adult and should read adult fiction, right?


I changed my mind after the New Year, when all the book bloggers posted lists of their favorites from 2008. The Book Thief was on many of those lists. Plus, I had already committed to reading it for the BangBang challenge. So, I went ahead and read it.


I am quite happy I did. Markus Zusak's tale of a young girl growing up in a small German town in the midst of Nazis and World War II is something special. Funny and heart-breaking at the same time, this novel definitely deserves all the praise I have seen it receive from my fellow book bloggers. This book is so good, I feel that I will be forced to rethink my snobbishness about reading young adult fiction. So, if you haven't already read it, please go pick up a copy from your local bookstore and library and do so with all haste!


4.75/5

No comments: