Saturday, October 24, 2009

Readathon Hour 1

So, I started the readathon with one of the books I am currently reading, Richard Dawkins' The Greatest Show On Earth. It is about the evidence for evolution. It is a pretty easy read, but surprisingly snarky. I would have prefer Dawkins to argue his case rather than make fun of the opposing view.


Mini challenge for this hour:


Where are you reading from today?

3 facts about me …

How many books do you have in your TBR pile for the next 24 hours?

Do you have any goals for the read-a-thon (i.e. number of books, number of pages, number of hours, or number of comments on blogs)?

If you’re a veteran read-a-thoner, Any advice for people doing this for the first time?


I am reading in Sugar Land, Texas, a suburb of Houston. My readathon goal is to use the time to polish of some of my reading challenges. To that end, I went to the library and checked out a bunch of novellas that meet the criteria of my challenges. I am afraid I went a little overboard and checked out way too many to list. But, here a some that I want to finish:



  • The Greatest Show On Earth by R. Dawkins (for the Chunkster & Seconds Challenges)

  • Night by E. Wiesel (for the What's In A Name Challenge)

  • The Pink Institution by S. Saterstrom (for the Colorful Reading Challenge)

  • Black Dogs by Ian McEwan (for the Colorful Reading & Seconds Challenge)

  • Double Indemnity by J. Cain (for the Seconds Reading Challenge)

  • The Moon Opera by B. Feiyu (for the Orbis Terrarum Challenge)

  • Koula by M. Koumandareas (for the Orbis Terrarum Challenge)

  • Disquiet by J. Leigh (for the Orbis Terrarum Challenge)


I checked out a bunch of novellas, books of less than 200 pages, because I found last time that these books are the easiest to read. As you get tired, holding the events and characters of longer books in your head becomes a little difficult. In addition, shorter books give you shorter, achievable goals that can motivate you to keep going. So, a little late I know, I would recommend that novice readathoners choose shorter books to read. But, the most important advice I would pass on is that readers need to take breaks. Get up, walk around, change your eyes' focus distance. Remember, you have 23 more hours to go!


Running Stats: 31 pages read in 00:40:15

1 comment:

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

Taking a break from reading to say – have a great day and have fun!