Saturday, April 18, 2009

Read-a-Thon April 2009

The Read-a-Thon for April 2009 starts in less than 20 minutes. When I ran marathons, this was the pre-race time when you limbered up and tried to relax because you had a long way to go.


Like most people I spent the last few days preparing for the Read-a-Thon. I got some last minute books from the library. I made sure that I had enough tea to last me for 24 hours. I tried to clear my schedule (with mixed success) so I could devote all my time to reading.


I also gathered some books to read during the 24 hours. I make no promises that these are the actual books I will read. I am fortunate enough to own a fair number of books from which to choose, so I reserve the right to go "off course" if I want to.



  1. The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz: I am going to finish this one off. It is for the Book Awards II Challenge

  2. Silver Canyon by Louis L'Amour: This is for the Colorful Reading Challenge. I have never read a western, so it should be interesting.

  3. Red Harvest by Dashiell Hammett: Another book for the Colorful Reading Challenge. I liked Yojimbo and Last Man Standing, both of which are said to be based on this book, so I am looking forward to it.

  4. On Love and Death by Patrick Suskind: Is a small books of essays, which I suppose I could use for the Seconds Challenge after reading Perfume for the Book Awards II Challenge.

  5. On the Medieval Origins of the Modern State by J. R. Strayer: A small history book that has been sitting on my shelves for a while. May be a little too heavy for the Read-a-Thon.


If I finish those before the end of the 24 hours, I have a few other short books or graphic novels to read.


Good luck to everyone!

No comments: