Sunday, April 27, 2014

Dewey's 24 Hour Readathon :: Summary and Wrap-Up

Summary

I had a great time doing Dewey's 24 Hour Readathon! I was able to stay up the entire 24 hours but I was surprised to find that when I looked at my stats that I only spent a little over half of the time actually reading, 14 hours and 43 minutes to be more precise. I read from four different books. I finished Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky. I also read three short stories from Sanctuary edited by Robert Lynn Asprin. I read a little bit about James Ensor and Edvard Munch in Peter Gay's Modernism: The Lure of Heresy from Baudelaire to Beckett and Beyond. And finally I started reading Alex Hughe's Sharp, the second book in the Mindspace Investigations series. From those four books I read a total of 530 pages.

Which hour was most daunting for you?

I was actually surprised to find that I didn't actually feel that tired during any of the hours of the readathon. Perhaps the last hour was the hardest, but even that wasn't particularly difficult.

Which book did you enjoy most?

I enjoyed all the books I read but Alex Hughe's Sharp was probably my favorite.

Which did you enjoy least?

Crime and Punishment seemed to take a while to really engage me. It wasn't until the last third of the book that I was really gripped by the story. In the end I'll say I enjoyed the book overall, but for a while I wasn't sure I'd be able to say that.

How likely are you to participate in the Read-a-thon again? What role would you be likely to take next time?

I would love to participate in the next readathon. Unfortunately I work most Saturdays so it all depends on whether I am working or not.

No comments: